Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Testimony

My Testimony: "

I thought I would ape this post.


I know that God lives because I have felt God’s guiding hand, gentle rebuke, and loving arms on more occasions than I can count.


I know that the temple is sacred space because every time I go there, the air is thick with the Spirit of God.


I know that the scriptures amaze and amuse me when I study them seriously.


I know that Family Home Evening and family prayer and gospel discussions can be holy.


I believe–but I do not know–that other things (like visiting teaching and fasting) can be holy. I haven’t experienced the holiness myself, but the same voices that taught me about FHE and family prayer have taught these, so I’m willing to be obedient and have hope that someday I will know for myself.


I suspect that the Church has been and is wrong about several matters historical, doctrinal, political, theological, and cultural. But if I’m willing to think that, I also need to acknowledge that I’m even more likely than the Church is to be wrong about those things. So I try not to take my doubts too seriously. I frequently fail at this.


I have, on several major occasions, thought that God wanted me to take the hard path of suffering but instead have been told in no uncertain terms that I didn’t need to drink from that cup. I’m still processing this.


I don’t understand why some people have to suffer so much in this life.


I envy pieces of other traditions: the traditions of Catholics, the social justice emphasis of liberal Christians, the surety of fundamentalist Christians, the exegesis of Presbyterians, the openness of Unitarians, the history of Jews, and the relaxed time of people who don’t go to church on Sundays.


I have been blessed beyond reason with husband, children, extended family, opportunities for education, leisure time, and the resources with which to meet all of my needs and most of my wants. For that I am truly grateful.


5 people like this post.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment